1. Research Log Entry – 4 points
- What question did you try to answer? How much do pharmacists get paid?
- What terms did you select to begin? pharmacist salary, pharmacist income
- What web search engine or engines did you use? google.com , yahoo.com , ask.com
- Search techniques
- What search terms did you use? pharmacist, average salaries, pharmacy technician
- What search techniques did you try? I used "pharmacist or technician" or so I could narrow my search down.
- Evaluation
- How did you evaluate your results? I checked for years on the web pages so I could tell if they were up to date. I also checked to see if the websites were written or authorized by governments or people who were actually involved in medical studies or things that have to do with money so I could tell if they were true.
- What conclusions did you draw about the different search engines?
i. what was the same? Some of the websites that were given were the same.
ii. what was different? On ask.com it gave more choices on the side bar so I could find more results where as yahoo and google just had the set results.
iii. Differences in numbers of results. Ask and Google had more results for me because of the way I was searching. If I kept typing in more words then they would have similar results. Ask.com Just has a lot more choices on the side bar.
- Why do you think the search engines behaved as they did? I think the search engines behaved differently because they are ran by different companies so they are set up in their own ways.
- What other questions came into your mind as you carried out this exercise? Why don't people delete old web pages that are not any good anymore; especially when they just give false information?
2. Research Log Entry – 1 point
- Create a Research Log Entry to answer the following questions:
- What is Delicious? Delicious is a web site that you can use and download so that you can share bookmarks from one computer to another.
- What is the advantage of this Web 2.0 tool? One advantage is that you can share bookmarks with friends and see what bookmarks other people have used. So if you are working on a report and other people are too, you can share pages that you are using for information. Or you can just use it for sharing web pages in general.
- Do you think you might use it? If so, why? If not, why not? It is possible that I would use it because we have more than one computer in my house, so when I use the other computers and I bookmark things, I could see them from my laptop.
You're very thorough.
ReplyDeleteWhile it's true that different companies are setting up or programming their products differently, there are also principles behind what they choose to do. The sorting of results, for example, is one area where there are differences--popularity in one, relevance in another, a combination of the two in a third, and so on.
As for deleting web pages, it's not always that easy to do. Sometimes, people can't get at old web pages, e.g., those on a product called geocities that was bought out by yahoo some years ago; sometimes, people have moved on and forgotten about their web sites; sometimes, they've forgotten their passwords and just give up. There are many reasons. From a library perspective, some of the old sites are of value from an archival purpose, but most are just leftovers!
As for delicious, I, too, find the ability to access my bookmarks from more than one computer to be useful.