Sunday, January 11, 2009

Unit 1, Part 1 - Concepts for Effective Searching

II. Research Log Activity and Entry – 4 points

  • What question did you try to answer? (1/2 point) What schools have good pharmacy technician programs?
  • What search engine or engines did you use? (1/2 point) I used Google.
  • Questions about your search (1 point)
    • What search terms did you use? "pharmacy technician schools"
    • How many results did you get when you entered your terms? I got 967,000 results.
    • How many did you get when you used OR? I got 457,000 when I used or in my search.
    • Which set was bigger? It was bigger when I didn't use the "or" in my phrase.
    • Can you figure out why? I assume I got better results when I didn't use the word "or" because it had less words to search for.
  • Evaluation (1 point)
    • What questions did you use to evaluate your results? How current is the date? Are they endorsed by a reputable organization? How is the information presented?
    • What conclusion did you draw about the value of the site and why? I decided after looking at the listings on the site and using it to check out other colleges, that it is a helpful site.It is updated frequently and has useful tips for attending schools both in and out of our state.
  • Having conducted this research activity, what questions came into your mind that you could use to continue your exploration? (1 point) What is the best minor to get with a major in Health Care?

1 comment:

  1. With your first search string, the search engine searched

    pharmacy AND technician AND schools
    968,000 results today

    I'm not sure where you inserted OR in your second search--between the first and second words, the second and third words, or between the first and second and also the second and third words

    here are my results today:

    pharmacy OR technician OR schools
    572,000,000

    pharmacy technician OR schools
    2,930,000

    pharmacy OR technician schools
    3,070,000

    pharmacy technician or schools
    1,300,000

    I don't see how you got more results with AND than with OR. It doesn't make sense. OR will give you more results.

    When you enter a boolean operator into a search engine, you need to put it in capital letters, which is why I tried it with lower case letters, thinking that this form might reproduce the results you retrieved because such as search will look for

    pharmacy AND technician AND or AND schools

    unless the search engine treats the lower-case or as a stop word and passes over it.

    Always interesting! I'd love to know exactly what results you got and how you structured your OR search.

    Meanwhile, your evaluation is fine and your question is good.

    ReplyDelete