Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Unit 3 Part 2 - Library Catalog

1. Which of your questions did you try to answer? Will our quality in health care get any better? I had to create a new question because my others were too vague.
2. What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen? Health Care Handbook
3. What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search? Quality in Health Care Services
4. What item did you eventually choose? Why? Quality in Health Care Service because it was the closest to my search.
5. Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose. It was an electronic book. Author: Juran, Joseph M. , Godfrey, A. Blanton
Publication Date: 1998
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Companies, The
6. When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why? “Major trends toward better quality of care are now well underway in healthcare.” I thought this was interesting because of the economic crisis we are in and the article was written so long ago.
7. What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks? It has previously conducted research recorded in it rather than regular information and more statistics.
8. In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from? I think the information came from the early 90’s.

2 comments:

  1. Something's not quite right here because I couldn't reproduce your search or find your cited book in the catalog. I could find the following books:

    similar titles by Juran
    titles about health care handbooks, but not by Juran

    Are you sure you've cited the EXACT title of this work? Quality in Health Care Services leads to an e-book by Berwick and Bisognano, edited by Juran (but no author or editor by the name of Godfrey. It's an e-book and it was published in 1999. That's the one I suspect you actually found.

    When I opened this e-book and had a look at it, it's not one that I would put in a "reference" category. While it's broad in one sense (health care services), it's not a reference-style where you get alphabetic entries or you get definitions or an encyclopedia approach. It might come close to being a handbook, but not set up in the same way as handbooks that are generally placed in reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it occurs to me that I should also let you know that to be sure you find a reference item, you can enter a search in the advanced word search screen and combine it with "reference collection," which you select from the "location" drop down menu on that screen. If you don't get results from a search for "health care handbook," you would simply broaden it to "health care" and try again. You just keep broadening it until you get results. Reference materials, being so broad, require broad search terms. With databases, coming up this week, you'll find that narrower is better. It's all about manipulation of language.

    ReplyDelete